Food Service Program
Phone: (616) 254-6404
The Food Service Department is proud to serve nutritious breakfasts and lunches every school day. We participate in the National School Lunch Program and meet specific nutrition requirements with every meal offered.
Free Meals for 2023-24
Breakfast and lunch will be FREE for students for the 2023-24 school year. To qualify as a free meal, it must be a full meal. Each school lunch is made up of five parts: protein, whole grains, fruit, vegetable and milk. To have lunch qualify as a full meal and be free, a student must take at least three of the five items offered, and one of those items must be a serving of fruit or vegetable.
- If a student does not choose a fruit or vegetable, that meal will not be free and the à la carte price for the meal will be charged.
- If a student takes only a carton of milk, their account will be charged 40 cents.
- Second meals ($1.55 and up) and à la carte snacks and beverages will also incur a charge.
Education/Meal Benefits Application
Though meals are free for 2023-24, ALL families are asked to fill out the education benefits application that was previously used to qualify students for free and reduced meals. If you do not have an approved application on file, you might miss out on other benefits. Qualifying families can receive waived fees or discounts for pay-to-play sports, AP exams, ACT and SAT tests, college applications, internet services and other programs.
Pay for À La Carte Items and Second Meals
Set Up a Meal Magic Family Portal Account
- Visit Grandville's Meal Magic Family Portal Website.
- Click "My Account."
- Enter the email you would like to use.
- Click "Forgot Passphrase / Unlock Account."
- A red bar will appear, asking if you would like to register. Click "Yes" and follow the prompts.
- Once the email is confirmed and you are logged in, click "Add Person."
- Once added, it will say "Waiting Approval." Your student will be approved shortly after.
- Once you log back in, you will be able to deposit money and fill out a meal benefits application if needed.
How does the portal work?
The Meal Magic Family Portal acts as a debit system. This system is similar to a bank debit card. Each student is assigned a secure account number. Deposits into the account can be made at any time, or checks can be written to Grandville Schools Food Service.
Parents can make deposits into their student's lunch accounts using a credit or debit card, as well as monitor the items being purchased by their child and view a current balance online. The student's identification number is required to establish an account, and $20 is the minimum deposit accepted. Please call (616) 254-6404 if you have questions.
Low Balance Alerts
Low-balance emails can be sent to you. The opt-in procedure is very simple. Once logged into the Meal Magic Family Portal, click on the Notifications button, check the box to indicate you want to receive low-balance reminders, and set a dollar amount indicating when to send notices. If you previously opted out of all email, uncheck that box to access the low-balance email settings.
Menu Following a Snow Day
In the event of a Snow Day, the menu may change the day the students return. Typically, food items are prepared in advance, so the menu selections that were to be offered on a Snow Day will be offered the following day. After that, the choices usually return to the published schedule. If your child becomes concerned about menu changes, you may want to plan on packing him or her a lunch from home after a Snow Day.
Did you know?
A recent study from Tufts University found that in 2018, schools were the single healthiest source of U.S. food consumed across a sample of children and adults.