February 2020 Update
Here are the projects on the horizon:
- The Grandville Education Center on Fairlanes will open in fall 2020. It will house some of our preschool and daycare programs as well as Pathways. A second expansion of this space will take place throughout the next year and open in fall 2021.
- Air conditioning will be installed in all remaining elementary buildings by fall 2020.
- In summer 2020, the current high school pool will receive a face-lift and improved electrical and mechanical systems, including new filters, pumps, dehumidifiers, lighting, ventilation and cosmetic upgrades.
- Plans for our new middle school and robotics center are being discussed. The buildings will be completed by fall 2023.
- Renovations for the 5-6 building (the current middle school) are being planned and will be completed by fall 2024.
- Other upgrades, including bus garage upgrades, new musical instruments, and safety and security upgrades, are also being planned.
Our construction management partner, Owen Ames Kimball, will update this design and construction blog periodically if you'd like to see photos of changes in the district.
Thank you to our community for passing Proposal 1 on Nov. 5, 2019!
We would like to sincerely thank the many volunteers who offered their input and assistance throughout our facility planning process. We will keep the community apprised as bond projects take shape in the coming years. Though Proposal 2 did not pass, we will be establishing plans for maintaining our current pools. There were 3,566 yes votes and 3,844 no votes on Prop 2 when ballots were counted in both Kent and Ottawa Counties. Read this letter from the superintendent about the GHS pool and this update.
Proposals 1 & 2
There will be two bond proposals on the ballot Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019. Proposal 1 would help address long-term growth, class size reduction, dedicated program space, technology, music, security, robotics, air conditioning, transportation and more. Proposal 2 would address our aging, deteriorating pool facilities by creating a natatorium for athletic and community use and repurposing the current pool areas into educational space. Watch this 4-minute overview of the proposals, or for more detailed information about each component, watch these short videos.
October/November 2019 Newsletter
Includes background information and FAQ about the proposals.
Item 5B of the July 15 board meeting minutes outlines the November bond issue.
Use this confidential tax calculator to estimate the costs of Proposals 1 and 2 for you. Be sure to enter the home's taxable value, not market value. This amount is typically about half of the home's value and can be found on your property tax statement.
Where Do I Vote?
Visit the Michigan Voter Information Center.
Request an Absent Voter Ballot
Due to the passage of the statewide ballot proposal 18-3, all eligible and registered voters in Michigan may now request an absent voter ballot without providing a reason. To request an absent voter ballot, complete the Michigan Absent Voter Ballot Application.
Please note that air conditioning falls under the category of "remodeling, including school security improvements, furnishing and refurnishing, and equipping and reequipping school buildings and facilities" in the ballot language.
Frequently Asked Questions
South Campus Site Concepts
This site diagram by GMB Architecture & Engineering depicts potential building and site relationships of the proposed Robotics & Engineering Center addition, natatorium (community swimming pool complex), and new middle school — all located just south of Grandville High School. We have received extensive input from various breakout groups. If the bond proposals pass, their input will be used to develop detailed designs. As many trees as possible would be preserved. Also, the north-south school drive would not connect to Brookcrest Drive and would not be as close to homeowners' backyards as this diagram suggests.
Below is a PDF of conceptual graphics explaining the bond proposals, to be displayed at their respective schools.